This salad is SO simple to throw together and perfect for saying goodbye to summer salads and HELLO to fall flavors! Sometimes people think that as soon as the temperature starts cooling down, fresh salads become a thing of the past. This salad uses kale as the base, but you could easily swap it for any greens that you like- spinach would also be perfect! I always make sure to massage the kale first when I’m using it for salad, this makes sure it’s super tender so that you don’t feel like you’re eating grass!
I used PRE-cut butternut squash for this recipe because I do not have the patience to peel and cut up an entire butternut squash from scratch. If that’s your thing, go for it! I love time savers, so my only steps for getting this squash ready were to throw it in a bowl with some olive oil. I love California Olive Ranch olive oil because the quality and price point are both great, and you can usually find it on sale!
The most labor intensive part about this salad is definitely getting those tasty little pomegranate seeds out of the pomegranate. The method that I ALWAYS use is hands down the fastest and cleanest way to do it. I’ve tried everything, and this is the only one that doesn’t leave my kitchen covered in dark red, impossible to remove pomegranate juice. First, fill a large bowl with water deep enough to submerge half a pomegranate. Slice your pomegranate in half, and then break it up into 4-5 pieces using your hands (gently). Then, carefully remove the pomegranate seeds UNDER WATER. Game changer. The seeds will float to the bottom, and all of the extra skin and flesh will float to the top- making clean up super easy. Drain the water and you’re done!
I added sliced chicken breast to make it a complete dish, but you could also serve it as a delicious side salad. This recipe makes roughly 4-5 large salad servings and it only lasted a couple of days in my house, it’s so good! Let me know what you think in the comments!
Harvest Kale & Apple Pomegranate Salad
- 1 large bunch of kale, stems removed, chopped (or 12 oz bag)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large apple, sliced
- 1 whole pomegranate, seeded
- 1 cup butternut squash, roasted
- pecans (optional)
- 1 medium lemon (juice)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- salt to taste
- In a small bowl, make the dressing. Combine lemon juice, olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, honey, and dijon mustard. Whisk well until combined and add salt to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine kale and olive oil. Give that kale a massage for ~1 minute! This step is super important and makes the kale tender enough for a salad.
- Add the pomegranate seeds, sliced apple and red onion to the bowl.
- Add the dressing to the salad and gently combine well.
- Add butternut squash and pecans right before serving.